Sunday, February 21, 2010

#1 New Hope

http://www.newhope.org/nh/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&hl=1

For our first discovery stop Rachel and I planned to visit First Baptist of Springfield. Apparently I live closer in Rachel time then reality, because she arrived rather late to pick me up. This was fine because now I had time to drink more coffee and thus was able to be an all around nicer person in the morning, but that's beside the point. By the time we got to First Baptist the service would already have started, and the idea of walking in late and being noticed by everyone was not appealing. I suggested New Hope, mainly because I knew where it was. It was the church I was born into, and I had actually visited a few times not long ago. So this wouldnt be a completely new experience, but no matter.

It was raining when we arrived and there were people in the parking lot passing out giant umbrellas. "Major points for this" I commented and Rachel agreed, saying "We should keep track somehow." It was then, when we were trotting through the parking lot dodging puddles, that the blog idea was formed.

New Hope has a community center type feel. It's a brand new building complete with tv monitors everywhere, complementary soda and coffee in a cafe esque area, and the coolest indoor playground I've ever seen which includes a slide to go from the top floor to the bottom. The vibe was very casual and laid back, most everyone was wearing jeans, I spotted lots of leather jackets. More points.

The sanctuary was really nice, as was the music. The songs were all popular currant ones I believe, I recognized them from the Christian radio station I sometimes briefly hear my mom playing before turning my own music up louder. All except one, that is. It hit me as soon as I heard it, and Rachel too, she promptly wrote down the title. As I listened to it I couldn't help but think how perfect it was, a wonderful opening theme song for our adventure. It pretty much summed up my feelings for church. I will paste the lyrics at the end of this post, but warning, it really makes you think.

The message connected to the song, here is the overview that was on the website: "If we’re honest we’d all love to have some people in our lives who we can be real with and who help us grow in our relationship with God. That’s what small groups are all about and it’s in the context of those relationship where our lives are really changed. This Sunday, Chris Hough will be speaking on how authentic community is essential for reaching your full spiritual potential."

The sermon was indeed interesting, however Rachel and I both concluded that there was nothing completely mind blowing or life altering about it, to us anyway. We walked away thinking "Yes, that makes sense." It was that song though, that left the biggest impact.

"Stained Glass Masquerade" By Casting Crowns
Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today feelin' so small
Cause when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong
I know they'll soon discover
That I don't belong
So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too
So with a painted grin, I play the part again
So everyone will see me the way that I see them
Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain
But if the invitation's open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain
On our stained glass masquerade
Is there anyone who's been there
Are there any hands to raise
Am I the only one who's traded
In the altar for a stage
The performance is convincing
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching
Can we really fall apart
But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be
Would your arms be open
Or would you walk away
Would the love of Jesus
Be enough to make you stay

No comments:

Post a Comment